Saturday, June 1, 2013

We're (Ready For) Number One

   Microsoft has some pretty terrible luck.  Not as bad as the poor people in Moore, OK, but bad nonetheless.  It's just unfortunate timing that the launch of the XBox One happened to be on the same day as all of those tornadoes struck.  From what I could tell, it was a pretty decent launch, too.  Better than Sony's anyway.  So now it's out there, and the rumors are already flying.  There's a lot of good buzz, and some not-so-good buzz, which I guess is to be expected with anything like this.  And while I would suggest that you don't take any of those to heart, at the same time I'm going to throw my hat into the ring.  Here's what I'm excited about:
  1. Switching to X86 - This is a fancy way of saying that the Xbox is changing it's guts over to be much more like a desktop PC.  Now, true console lovers might freak out about this, or say that it's "killing the console concept."  Whatever.  The processor and innards of the machine make no difference to you, the gamer, whatsoever.  But they DO make a difference to developers, who are already building their product on the X86 system for PC.  Now it's just that much easier for them to directly port those products over to the Xbox.  The end result is a truer representation of the game on a higher-end PC.  More power, more continuity, a better gaming experience.  Sony is also switching over to the X86 system, which leaves only the WiiU on the old Power PC platform.  Poor, poor Nintendo.
  2. TV Integration - This is another one that has a lot of console people freaking out.  I for one am looking forward to it... IF it does what it claims.  Supposedly we will be able to run our cable boxes through the xbox, integrating its guide into our xbox experience.  They even say we'll be able to mix and match to create our own TV station, customized with the programs we watch.  I think that's a great concept, and if it works in practice, I'm all for it.
  3. Better Kinect - I was skeptical of the Kinect when it first came out.  I thought "yeah that's cool in concept, but we'll just have to see about how well it works in practice."  I was proven wrong.  The Kinect, while not something I have yet seen integrated well with any serious games, is still a very fun diversion (and great for parties).  From what I've read, the new kinect is smart enough that it can see you wink.  It can also detect quite a few more people, and doesn't require as much space to work.  If they can deliver on these promises, I believe we're in for a real treat.
Of course, not everything is perfect.  Honestly my concerns are outweighing my excitement by quite a bit... and I'm not just talking about inevitable changes like the loss of backwards compatibility.  I'm talking about things like...
  1. Overheating - This Xbox is bigger, badder, more powerful, and yet Microsoft claims it will be quieter than even the Xbox Slim.  Quieter means fewer fans, which to me means it runs a greater risk of overheating.  I would just hate for Microsoft to go through another batch of recalls and the mess they had on their hands when the 360 first launched.
  2. Losing Focus - It's obvious Microsoft is trying to take the Xbox One and make it much more than a gaming console.  That's all well and good, but at its core, the Xbox is built for games, and it would be best for Microsoft to remember that.  Gamers are an angry, vindictive bunch.  Piss them off, and you go the way of Nintendo.
  3. Always Online - This is a big one.  I've heard that the Xbox One will not work correctly without an internet connection.  Most of the complaints come from people out in rural areas, but I'm not in a rural area so I don't really care about them.  My bigger concern is over the Big Brother aspect of this.  I don't like the idea of Microsoft knowing I'm online or being able to tell me what I can and can't do from a remote location.  It's one thing to log in to Xbox Live, which I almost always do, but I just prefer to have the ability to NOT log in, or to take my xbox over to a friends house for some system link fun, without having to be online.
  4. Beware The Cloud - I know everyone's hyped up about the cloud-based computing concept, but I don't like it being a part of Microsoft's new gameplan.  Once again, it all comes down to control.  If part of my game is running from the cloud, what happens if that company's servers go down?  What happens if my internet goes out?  From what I've heard, even single player wouldn't work then.  That's dumb.  With companies like EA out there who already can't keep their shit together, it poses a major problem for gamers.  And don't even get me started if companies decide they no longer want to keep servers open for older games.  This is just a really, really dumb idea.
  5. Xbox Live - Xbox Live revolutionized gaming, and not just on the Xbox.  Think about how many online games you ever played before Xbox Live came out.  Maybe a couple of dial-up Starcraft games?  Maybe a little Halo over XBConnect?  There wasn't much.  But Microsoft charges an arm and a leg for Xbox Live... and they are the only ones charging for this service.  Sure, you get some perks with it -- but most of those you have to pay extra for.  The base charge is always there, and what it turns out being is you paying 60 bucks a year to use Netflix.  This needs to change.  Microsoft has milked all of us long enough.  In most ways, their online system does nothing better than Playstation or even Wii.  Sure their games might take more advantage of it, but don't think Sony isn't going to catch up.  The way I see it, Microsoft has a choice.  They can either milk this cow for as long as they can, and then eventually lose a good portion of their audience to the free alternatives... or they can be everyone's best friend by just dropping the charge now, or creating a free tier for people who don't listen to XBox Music.  The second choice is better, because they will not only retain their current audience, they will gain a lot of loyalty from people who were on the fence.
No matter which way you shake it though, this is going to be one helluva console generation.  Both the PS4 and the Xbox One are worthy successors to the current generation systems.  We may also see in this generation what I've been asking for for a while - Nintendo getting out of the console market and doing like Sega, producing games for both consoles moving forward.  Please, please please please, Nintendo, do this.

   I want to close out this week by saying my heart goes out to the people in Oklahoma, who are STILL getting pounded with Tornadoes every day.  And also to the firefighters who gave their lives trying to save a crummy hotel in Southwest Houston.  It's been a rough couple of weeks.  Hug the ones you love.

No comments: